Flight Paramedics perform a wide array of critical care functions, including high-quality, pre-hospital advanced life support, assessment, triage, therapies and treatment for patients. PHI Flight Paramedics are integral to our critical care team, both within our rotor and fixed-wing operations and our ground ambulance transports.
With the safety of the team and patients at the forefront of everything we do, you will work with the PHI Air Medical team to find ways to improve safety and our standards of care by attending safety and mission-related briefings daily. Additionally, each member of the critical care transport team at PHI helps educate our communities on what we do and provides marketing and outreach for various causes throughout the year.
The standard medical crew configuration for PHI Air Medical consists of a flight nurse and a flight paramedic, operating under the direction of a local Medical Director. As part of our commitment to provide air medical transport resources to our communities 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, most PHI Air Medical flight teams work two 24-hour shifts per week, with five days off. Flight Paramedics must maintain an active paramedic certification and all other certifications as required by policy.
How Do I Become a Flight Paramedic?
Flight paramedic careers are competitive and highly regarded. This role typically involves meeting people often on the worst day of their lives. It takes integrity, hard work, a huge amount of discipline and a real passion for helping and treating others.
At PHI Air Medical, our Flight Paramedics must have:
- An active paramedic certification in the state employed.
- Minimum of three years (five years preferred) current Paramedic field experience in a busy 911/pre-hospital service.
- Current BLS, ACLS, PALS/PEPP and PHTLS/ITLS. NRP preferred. Instructor certifications preferred.
- FP-C within twenty-four months of hire.
- Flight or transport experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare related field preferred.
- Successfully complete the PHI Air Medical education/orientation program.
- Demonstrate effective human relations skills required for interfacing with all levels of personnel and external customers.
- Possess basic computer skills for e-mail, electronic charting, etc.
- Have the ability to communicate verbally, effectively and clearly in person and by radio.
- Understand and live out our company’s values, expectations and commitments both for the organization and individually.
Flight Paramedic Salary Range & Benefits
PHI offers a superior benefit package as we know our valued employees are our greatest asset. The salary range for our Flight Paramedics is based on region, certifications and years of flight and critical care experience.
Eligible Flight Paramedic Benefits include:
- Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- Life/AD&D Insurance Plans
- Disability Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Critical Illness
- Legal Services
- Pet Insurance
- Home and Auto
Flight Paramedic Height & Weight Requirements
- Safety is top priority at PHI Air Medical and as such, below are the height and weight requirements for each of our Flight Paramedics:
- Must be able to pass pre-placement physical exam including functional capacity exam (strength and flexibility assessment, including the ability to lift up to 100 pounds), drug screening and background screen.
- Must maintain body weight below 215 lbs.
Why PHI Air Medical?
PHI Air Medical is the leading air ambulance provider in the United States. We transport more than 30,000 patients each year from more than 80 bases across the country, including in Arizona, California, Texas and Florida. With an unmatched safety record and the best aviation, medical and communication specialists in the field, we set the standard in the air medical industry.
When you join the PHI Air Medical team, you are joining a family. One that is focused on the health and safety of everyone and everything it touches, and one that is forward-thinking and evolving with our ever-changing world. If you have a true passion for being a part of change, growth and service to your community then we want you. Our Flight Nurses have access to continuing education opportunities, a competitive benefits package and the ability to grow within our organization.
Think you have what it takes? What are you waiting for – join us!